CARTERET - An early morning fire destroyed a home in Carteret Thursday.

The fire started at a home on Hagaman Street around 5 a.m.

James Warren says he was sleeping when he was woke by the smell of smoke. He was able to wake up his mother and brother, but smoke quickly filled the house and made it difficult to escape. The neighbors saw the flames from their home and ran over to help pull the family out.

Warren was discharged from the hospital Thursday afternoon. His mother and brother are still being treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters remained on the scene Thursday night, monitoring the rubble for hotspots.

The Carteret mayor has arranged for temporary housing for the Warren family. The mayor says anyone who wishes to donate to a charity trust fund for the family can do so at Borough Hall located at 61 Cooke Ave.