PASSAIC - A mother and her 1-year-old son died of carbon monoxide poisoning inside a running car, and the woman’s 3-year-old daughter is in critical condition.

Passaic police say that they responded to a call shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday on Sherman Street. 

Police say that the 23-year-old mother and her two children were sitting inside the running car to stay warm while the children's father cleared away the snow. Police believe the car’s tailpipe became blocked by snow and the poisonous gas leaked into the vehicle’s interior.

The three victims were taken to the hospital, but the mother and the young boy died.

The 3-year-old girl was transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Paterson, where she is in extremely critical condition.

Police believe they were in the car for about 10 or 15 minutes.

Passaic police are calling it a tragic accident. They are warning everyone to make sure tailpipes are cleared of any blockage before starting the car.

Friends have identified the father as Felix "Coco" Bonilla.