OAKLAND - A man was severely burned during an early morning house fire in Oakland.

The fire broke out just before 6 a.m. Thursday in the home at 28 Ryerson St.

Homeowner Charles Graf tells News 12 New Jersey that he lived in the home with two housemates. They all ran out through the front door when the fire broke out, but Graf’s friend Ronald Gibbens was severely burned on his chest.

One of the housemates noticed the flames first and screamed for everyone to wake up.

Firefighters extinguished the flames within 15 minutes.

Gibbens was taken to St. Barnabas Medical Center to be treated for the burns. His condition was not immediately known.

Several local and county law enforcement officers were on the scene through Thursday afternoon investigating the blaze.

Graf says that he wonders if the fire was started by a candle.