BERKELEY HEIGHTS - A man has died and his wife is fighting for her life after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.

It happened Wednesday afternoon at 12 Cottage Court in Berkeley Heights. The couple apparently left their car running inside the garage, possibly overnight.

The man was pronounced dead inside his home. His wife was taken to the hospital and is in serious condition.

It is unknown whether the car was left running intentionally or if someone simply forgot to turn it off. Family members were too distraught to speak with News 12 New Jersey.

The Union County Prosecutor's Office is investigating.