NEWTON - The second fire in just as many weeks broke out today at a Newton apartment building, claiming the life of 58-year-old John Heemer.

The building where the fire broke out, Brookside Terrace Apartments, is subsidized housing and many of the residents are elderly or disabled and needed help escaping the fire.

The fire at the apartment complex on May 9 may have been arson, but this time authorities say it looks like an accident. They say careless smoking may have been the culprit and a full investigation is still pending.

A handful of residents were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Newton's fire department is located directly across the street from the building, but since its ladder was in for repairs, other departments had to be called in for support.