EDISON - How reliable is your car? Kane In Your Corner has obtained a copy of this year’s Car Complaint Index, a list of vehicles that garnered the most customer complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration per vehicle sold, and some of the names on it might surprise you.
1. Nissan Pathfinder: The number one most complained about vehicle is actually new to the car complaint index. There have been numerous complaints about transmission shudder during acceleration. “You can be driving 35-40 miles per hour and all of a sudden feel this tremendous shudder in the ‘trans’,” says automotive consumer advocate Mike Sacks with the lemon law law firm of Kimmel and Silverman. “And going back to the Nissan dealer, it does not appear Nissan has a proper fix.”
2. Infiniti QX60: The primary complaint about the Infinity QX60 was a serious one; airbag sensors would sometimes not notice the presence of a person in the passenger seat and therefore the airbag would not deploy in the event of an accident. Fortunately, Infiniti issued a recall for this issue at the end of March, so this issue may soon be resolved. You can find a link to more information on this recall at the bottom of this article.
READ MORE: New Jersey Consumer Stories
3. Hyundai Santa Fe: It’s one of the most popular SUVs in America but the Hyundai Santa Fe has drawn consumer complaints about alignment issues and stalling. “You can be driving along on the Turnpike or Parkway and all of a sudden feel yourself drifting into another lane,” says Sacks. “It's not your imagination; these cars do have alignment issues.”
4. Ford Focus: Another huge seller, the Ford Focus has drawn complaints about one of its most advertised features, the “Eco Boost Transmission.” It’s designed to improve fuel economy, but many drivers complained it did so at the expense of a smooth ride, sometimes jumping and lurching into gear.
5. Cadillace ATS: A variety of complaints put this vehicle on the list, including electrical issues, unexplained check engine lights, stalling and rough idling.
Other notable vehicles making this year’s Car Complaint Index list, the Hyundai Veracruz (shattering sunroofs), the Jeep Wrangler (water leaks), Dodge Journey (transmission troubles) and Hyundai Sonata (alignment issues).