TRENTON - A judge has shot down an attempt by an unindicted co-conspirator in the George Washington Bridge lane closure scandal to keep a list of the co-conspirators a secret.
U.S. District Judge Susan Wigenton had previously ordered the government to release the list by noon Friday in response to a motion filed by several media organizations. However, a person named on the list who was identified only as “John Doe” filed a motion to stop the public release of the names Thursday night.
“John Doe” claims that if the list is released, he will be branded as a criminal without due process.
Wigneton delayed the deadline until Tuesday while she considered the case.
Media organizations seeking the list of names challenged the delay and Wigneton ruled in their favor.
Bruce Rosen, an attorney for the media organizations, says the motion filed anonymously Thursday was a "frivolous and desperate attempt" made after a federal judge had ordered the names released.
Rosen also said that the anonymous person's claim that he will be branded as a felon is without merit. Rosen noted that an unindicted co-conspirator is someone not charged with a crime.
An attorney for “John Doe” will likely appeal the decision.
Two former allies of Republican Gov. Chris Christie face criminal charges for allegedly creating traffic jams at the bridge for political revenge against a local Democratic mayor.
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.