ESSEX COUNTY - The woman accused causing a fatal car accident while texting and driving has been released on bail.

Jennifer Sahoye, 35, has been charged with vehicular homicide in the death of Carlos Carvalho, 58, of Elizabeth.

Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn A. Murray says Sahoye was traveling south in the express lanes on Route 1 and 9 near the Route 78 interchange at approximately 5 p.m. on Oct. 10 when she crossed into the southbound local lanes and hit a Ford pickup, causing it to overturn. Carvalho was ejected from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.

"There were witnesses that said she appeared to be distracted," Chief Assistant Prosecutor Tom Fennelly says.

Police say an investigation of the woman's cellphone confirmed Sahoye was texting at the time of the fatal crash.

The victim's son was upset to learn about the texting allegations, saying he would still have his father if Sahoye had been paying attention to the road.

Sahoye was also charged with causing death while driving with a suspended license. She was arraigned on both charges Tuesday and faces a maximum of 10 years in New Jersey State Prison if convicted.