James Monroe Elementary School fire sparked by improperly discarded single cigarette

Investigators looking into the blaze that destroyed an Edison elementary school have concluded that it began with a single cigarette discarded by a facilities manager.

Investigators looking into the blaze that destroyed an Edison elementary school have concluded that it began with a single cigarette discarded by a facilities manager.

Investigators looking into the blaze that destroyed an Edison elementary school have concluded that it began with a single cigarette discarded by a facilities manager. (3/25/14)

EDISON - Investigators looking into the blaze that destroyed an Edison elementary school have concluded that it began with a single cigarette discarded by a facilities manager.

Jerome Higgins, who was working at James Monroe Elementary School that night, has said that he first wrapped the cigarette in a paper towel and ran it under the faucet before tossing it in the trash. Officials say that wasn't enough to extinguish the butt.
      
That trash can, located in the boiler room, soon caught fire. Fire Chief Brian Latham says that a heat detector inside the room set off an alarm alerting his department and crews were at the building three minutes later. By then, three rooms were on fire.

Chief Latham says part of the reason it spread so quickly is because the boiler room door was open. "If it was closed it would've contained the fire to that room," he says. "It might have even choked the fire out." 

The oxygen in the halls fed the flames. The building had no sprinklers and the fire continued to spread.

"The walls of the school are covered in paper," Latham says. "There are books, wooden desks, a lot of fire-load. And once it got above the drop ceiling and into the roof it spread through the entire building."

The roof collapsed in several sections, and the entire building was quickly lost.  

 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Monmouth County officials continue to search for missing 1 Officials continue to search for missing 19-year-old
Police in Asbury Park calling for cease fire 2 Police in Asbury Park call for cease-fire after shootings
A fire destroyed this house on Bramhall Avenue 3 Early morning fire destroys house in Jersey City
Jersey Weekend Buzz 4 Jersey Weekend Buzz
VIDEO: Man reunited with missing wedding ring 5 VIDEO: Man reunited with missing wedding ring

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

A book drive sponsored by a local gym Gym sponsors book drive for burned school

A book drive sponsored by a local gym is drawing donations from all over the

A community is coming together to support the Community comes together for lost school

A community is coming together to support the families and staff of James Monroe Elementary

Officials in Edison met with teachers, students and District announces plans for burned school

Officials in Edison are making final preparations for teachers and students who will attend class

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE