HOBOKEN - A dog was shocked at a dog park in Hoboken last week when it got too close to exposed electrical wires inside a light pole. The dog survived, but pet owners are now keeping a closer eye on their pets.

City officials believe someone stole the metal plate that had been covering the wires. Thieves can sell the plates as scrap metal. Electrical tape is now covering the wires, along with caution tape warning anyone with dogs, and even children, to be extra careful.

Officials say they are working to replace all of the missing covers. They're also looking to create a lock system that would make it difficult to steal the plates.

Hoboken officials are now working with PSE&G to check all light poles in the City. They say a handful of plates have already been stolen and are asking anyone who notices open plates to report them.