SHREWSBURY - A Shrewsbury family is safe after an accidental fire caused their historic mansion to become engulfed in flames.

Homeowners Jeffrey and Joan Rich escaped safely with their pets when they heard their alarm sound.

The four-alarm fire broke out this afternoon at the single-family mansion at 469 Sycamore Ave.

Multiple crews from Monmouth County helped put the fire out. Crews reported water pressure problems as they worked to put the fire out.

Police had to close down part of Sycamore Avenue between Route 35 and Samara Drive as they fought the fire.