NEW BRUNSWICK - The Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office says that police officers involved in last year's fatal shooting of Barry Deloatch will not face charges.

The prosecutor's office says a grand jury met for 11 weeks and heard from 57 witnesses connected to the case, including law officers and civilians.

Authorities say Deloatch, 46, ran off back on Sept. 22 after two officers approached him and two other men. A subsequent chase ended with one officer shooting Deloatch.

The grand jury also reviewed 280 exhibits submitted in connection with the foot chase and fatal shooting.

''While the shooting is a tragedy on many levels, it is clear that the grand jury conducted a thorough, impartial and independent review," the prosecutor's office said in a statement.