LONG BRANCH - A 4-alarm fire at a recycling center in Long Branch has finally been put out.

Firefighters were able to get the fire at the Long Branch Department of Public Works yard under control last night, but it continued to smolder into the morning.

The fire started just after 2 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.

Fire Marshal Kevin Hayes says southwest winds fanned the fire and increased the flames. Jeff Raymond, a Long Branch resident, says he's been concerned about the brush recycling yard for years, and this fire is just another reason to be wary. "I attribute it to the mulch. It gets piled up and it doesn't get processed quick enough to get out," he says.

Firefighters have not released information on a possible cause for the fire.