Firefighter Willie Rodriguez puts out flames in own Totowa home with watering can
TOTOWA - Threatening skies gave way to rain and lightning Friday and in several areas, Mother Nature made herself known.
Lightning sparked a handful of fires, including one in the attic of the Totowa home owned by Willie Rodriguez, who says a gardening tool came in handy. "One of those big water cans," he says. "I happened to have one and the firefighter said if I didn't have that the fire would've took off."
Rodriguez, a firefighter in Wayne, was heading into work when the weather took a turn for the worse. He says he felt the house shake when the lightning hit.
READ MORE: New Jersey Top Stories
The bolt came through the attic and into the upstairs bathroom, just a short distance from Willie's daughter's room.