Englewood firefighter helps knock down 3-alarm fire at own home

Fire crews are battling a three-alarm fire at a home in Englewood. (6/19/14)

ENGLEWOOD - An Englewood firefighter sprang into action when he saw smoke Thursday, but soon realized it was his own home that was burning.

The three-alarm fire at Kevin Wilson's home on West Palisade Avenue began shortly after 1:30 p.m. Thursday. He was at the station when he saw the dark smoke and suspected they'd soon be getting a call. So he and his crew headed out, without an address.

Moments later they were on Wilson's street. "Lo and behold, we pull up and it's rolling out of the second floor," he says.

READ MORE: New Jersey Top Stories

Wilson didn't just watch as his home was burning; he worked and did his job and let his fellow firefighters come to his aid in his time of need. "The hardest part for me was staying on my engine and not wanting to go in," he says.

Wilson was initially concerned about his upstairs tenants and his 15-year-old son. No residents were injured, but one firefighter received minor burns.

"We pull together for other families," he says. "Sometimes we overlook the brotherhood we have, but I definitely felt the love today."

Several fire departments from surrounding towns responded to help put out the flames.

Early investigation indicates that a power strip may have overheated wiring in the house.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12