HOBOKEN - Officials say a four-alarm fire tore through five floors of a Hoboken building, leaving several residents homeless and causing three people to suffer smoke inhalation.

Firefighters from Hoboken, Newark and Elizabeth were called in to help battle the blaze at 300 Washington St., which started at around 7 p.m. last night. Firefighters remained on scene this morning working to put out stubborn hot spots.

Residents on the upper floors of the building were evacuated by ladder from the roof of the building.

The American Red Cross says it has established a temporary shelter at the Hoboken Multi-Service Center on 2nd and Grand streets.