CLIFTON - A large fire in Clifton Sunday morning forced several families from their homes and damaged a business.
The flames broke out at 221 Dayton Ave. at around 11:30 p.m. The building houses a Polish bookstore with apartments above.
The bookstore was destroyed, and two adjacent buildings were damaged. It's unclear whether the fire sparked in the store or in the apartments above.
After the flames were extinguished, firefighters escorted tenants into the building to grab belongings that survived the fire.
No one was injured, but a woman told News 12 that a dog died in the fire. The Red Cross says it is helping 12 displaced people find a place to stay.