NEW BRUNSWICK - This week News 12 New Jersey has reported on three fatal fires. There has been no word on what caused those blazes, but News 12 New Jersey is taking a look at what you can do to reduce the risk of a fire at your home.

George Wallace, a fire official in Metuchen, tells News 12 New Jersey as soon as weather turns chilly, there is an up-tick in dwelling fires.

Wallace also explains that holiday decorations such as candles may turn out to be deadly. He advises to never leave a candle unattended.

The firefighters also remind residents to keep candles away from trees, water your live trees to keep them from drying out and again, to shut off any lights when you aren't home.

For more information visit:State of New Jersey Department of Community Affairs News ReleaseChristie Administration Officials Urge Families to 'Check The Halls' for Fire Hazards This Holiday Season