JERSEY CITY - Fire officials say they had a hard time getting to a woman on the second floor of a house on fire in Jersey City because of an extreme amount of clutter.
Jersey City Fire Chief Darren Rivers says that 32-year-old Stephanie Britton was found under a mattress in the apartment and she died from smoke inhalation.
Rivers says that firefighters had a hard time getting up the stairs of the building because of the amount of clutter and debris on the stairs. He says the blaze appears to have started with an electrical short in the basement of the Fifth Street home.
The woman's father, mother and sister made it out of the home unharmed. Rivers says a firefighter suffered a twisted ankle.