FEMA extends NJ shelter program to Jan. 26

FEMA

FEMA

TRENTON - (AP) -- New Jersey residents displaced by Superstorm Sandy can stay in hotels on the federal government's dime until Jan. 26, but the number of people who need the program is dwindling.

The program had been scheduled to end Saturday, but officials announced Thursday that it would be extended two more weeks.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency says 5,400 households have used the agency's temporary housing program since Nov. 1.

FEMA official Christy Grant says fewer than 2,800 households are in the program now, but that number is expected to drop to around 1,100 by Saturday as people find longer-term housing.

The program in New Jersey has cost more than $17 million so far. The average stay is 25 days.

The government has extended the program several times in two-week increments.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

One person was killed in a shooting on 1 At least 1 dead in Thursday night Newark shooting
Genesis Rincon was shot and killed by a 2 Man pleads guilty for death of 12-year-old girl
Kane In Your Corner continues its investigation into 3 KIYC: NJSPCA no-bid contracts questioned
VIDEO: Interview with former Suffolk County Executive Steve 4 VIDEO: Interview with former Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy
News 12 speaks with residents about what they 5 Hudson Valley Talks Trump: Tax plan

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

It's good to know you have Walt Kane Kane in Your Corner

It's good to know you have Walt Kane in your corner.

News 12 takes a look at the hottest Tech Check

Eric Landskroner has a look at the latest gadgets and biggest stories in tech.

News 12 On the Scene

Check out these exclusive videos from New Jersey celebs!

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE