Exposure to benzyl bromide prompts closure of 3 buildings at the College of New Jersey

A student at the College of New Jersey

A student at the College of New Jersey who had been exposed to a substance in a chemistry room prompted the closure of several buildings Friday. (Credit: DrewChainz_ via Twitter)

EWING - A student at the College of New Jersey who had been exposed to a substance in a chemistry room prompted the closure of several buildings Friday.

The female student was exposed to benzyl bromide in the TCNJ Chemistry Building, and later entered the library and dining hall. 

Officials say the student reported to Health Services because she smelled odors and felt tingling on her arm. 

READ MORE: New Jersey Top Stories

Campus Police Services, Environmental Health and Safety and the Ewing Fire Department decided to temporarily shut down the buildings the student had visited.

As of 2 p.m., all three buildings had been checked and cleared of any contaminants, and were reopened.

The student was taken to Capital Health Regional Medical Center as a precautionary measure, but was reported to be in good condition.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12