EAST ORANGE - Utility workers have capped a gas leak that contributed to a major fire and resulted in injury for firefighters and residents.
A spokesperson for the East Orange Fire Department says utility crews working since Wednesday afternoon were able to locate the leak around 1 p.m. and seal it.
The spokesperson added that there is no further danger and that evacuated residents on William Street can return to their homes. Power has been restored to 85 percent of the affected buildings.
Wiiliam Street will remain closed until further notice, and motorists are urged to avoid the area.
Three firefighters were injured battling the gas-fed blaze Wednesday. Two were treated for smoke inhalation. The third broke his leg after jumping from a window to escape the flames. Two residents were also treated for smoke inhalation.