HOLLAND TOWNSHIP - Some residents are outraged after an elderly couple was found dead in their rural hilltop home after five nights without power.

Officials say carbon monoxide poisoning from a backup generator appears to be the cause of the deaths. According to investigators, the generator was running inside an unvented garage. Robert Stephens, 84, and his wife Susanna Stephens, 79, were found dead inside their Milford Borough hilltop home. Police say the bodies were discovered by a relative and an electrical contractor who was restoring power to the neighborhood.

The medical examiner's office is still trying to determine an exact time and day of death.

In light of the tragedy, officials from Holland Township and all over New Jersey want to remind residents that this weekend, as daylight savings ends, it's a great time to test your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.