NORTH BRUNSWICK - Officials in North Brunswick say dozens of residents displaced by a multi-alarm warehouse fire in North Brunswick will not be allowed to return until at least Thursday.
The massive early morning fire on Livingston Avenue destroyed the building. Residents of an apartment complex adjacent to the warehouse were evacuated due to air quality concerns. Linwood Middle School was set up as a shelter.
According to the American Red Cross, about 100 people have registered for assistance. Many have been coming and going for most of the day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were provided to the residents.
At an evening news conference, authorities in North Brunswick announced residents would not be allowed back at night due to the smoke conditions. However, the NJ DEP did say air quality tests revealed there were no toxins in the air.
Many of the residents will be staying with friends and family, but cots have been brought to the middle school for any resident who needs to say there overnight.
In addition to the people displaced, pets were also allowed at the shelter, thanks to the Middlesex County Animal Response Team. Cages, food and water were provided for pets as well.