Democrats react to ‘Bridge Gate’ scandal, call for continued investigations
TRENTON - Lawmakers taking a leading role in the investigation into the controversial closure of several lanes leading to the George Washington Bridge in September spoke out Wednesday.
Newly released text messages and emails imply that the closure that caused major gridlock in Fort Lee was politically motivated.
Gov. Chris Christie maintains that he knew nothing of the closures and said in a statement Wednesday that he was misled by a member of his staff.
READ MORE: New Jersey Top Stories
"The documents that have been published are both shocking and outrageous," said Assemblyman John Wisniewski. "They show government at its worst. Among other things they call into serious question the honesty of this governor and his staff."
Wisniewski's subpoenas turned up the damning documents, and while much has come to light, he believes there are just as many unanswered questions.
"If this could happen at the Port Authority, how else has government been abused for the political advantage of the governor in other agencies?" asked Wisniewski.
"Today actually shocked me, and I thought I was beyond that," said state Sen. Loretta Weinberg.
Democratic Rep. Bill Pascrell said in a statement, "I am outraged that the safety of my constituents was callously jeopardized to inflict political retribution. It's time for the governor to stop with the mockery and the denials and take responsibility for what his administration has done here in Fort Lee and perhaps elsewhere in New Jersey."
New Jersey Republicans have so far remained quiet on the issue. None have returned News 12 New Jersey's requests for comment.
For the Democratic reaction into the GWB closures, watch the clips to the left or click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612.