Christie says Sandy aid going to most needy

There has been criticism on how the state is doling out housing recovery money. (4/24/14)

BRICK TOWNSHIP - (AP) - Gov. Chris Christie says a majority of federal Superstorm Sandy relief funding New Jersey has received so far has gone to low- and moderate-income residents.

Christie says it was his decision to allocate 70 percent of the $1.8 billion in first-round funds to people who need it most.

The Republican is telling a town hall audience in Brick on Thursday that the distribution of funds has been slowed by having to determine who qualifies.

READ MORE: New Jersey Top Stories

The administration has been criticized for the slow pace of aid distribution.

Residents of the shore community have received recovery and rebuilding aid totaling tens of millions.

More than 1,300 residents received $10,000 grants to remain in their communities after the October 2013 storm.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12