Sammy's "Smack and Cheese"
2 white bread, crust removed, torn into ¼-inch pieces
2 ½ T. unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
1 ¾ cups milk
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
¾ tsp kosher salt
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of ground black pepper
6 oz. grated sharp yellow cheddar, little extra to sprinkle
2.5 oz. grated Gruyere, little extra to sprinkle
6 oz. elbow macaroni
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees. Lather butter to your casserole dish. In a small saucepan, melt butter ½ T. of butter and pour butter into the bowl with bread, toss and set aside. In a separate saucepan, heat milk. In another saucepan, melt remaining butter. When butter bubbles add flour and stir for 1 minute.
2. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture, whisk until the mixture becomes thick. Remove pan from heat, stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cheddar, Gruyere, and set aside.
3. In a large pot with water, boil macaroni, cook 2-3 minutes fewer than manufacturer’s directions. Transfer macaroni into colander to rinse in cold water and drain.
4. Mix cheese mixture and macaroni, place into casserole dish, top off with a sprinkle of both cheeses. Bake for 30 minutes until top cheese is golden brown.
14 oz. beef rib chop
Cracked peppercorn and salt to taste
Optional: Black Lava Salt
2 T. butter
2 T diced onions
½ T. minced garlic
½ T. horseradish
½ cup Merlot
1 cup beef stock
½ cup half and half
1. At room temperature, season beef rib chop with pepper and salt(s) for 10 minutes
2. High heat on a grill, sear each side for 4 minutes. Preheat oven at 450 degrees and place seared chop inside. For med-rare cook 5 minutes, medium-well 8-10 minutes, 10+ minutes for well done.
3. Once you take out the chop, preserve drippings and let sit for 3-4 minutes.
4. In a saucepan, add butter, onions, garlic, horseradish, until soften. Then add Merlot, reduce to half and add drippings and beef stock, let simmer for 2 minutes. Then add half and half, then let simmer for 4 minutes.
5. Once sauce is done, place sauce on the side next to chop.
Sam Mickail's CUT Steak House
466 Prospect Ave.
West Orange, NJ