Police: Carbon monoxide poisoning kills boy, injures his sister in Linden

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills a 9-year-old boy and sickens his 10-year-old sister in Linden.

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills a 9-year-old boy and sickens his 10-year-old sister in Linden. (5/3/16)

LINDEN - Authorities say carbon monoxide poisoning likely caused the death of a 9-year-old boy and seriously injured his 10-year-old sister at their family's home in Linden.

Police responded to the Passaic Avenue home around 7:25 a.m. Tuesday. The children's 45-year-old mother called 911 after she had found them unresponsive in their bedroom.

The mother tried administering CPR on the boy, but he couldn't be revived.

According to the Linden Fire Department, there were high levels of carbon monoxide found throughout the home.

Linden police spokesman Capt. James Sarnicki says that the batteries inside the family's carbon monoxide detector were either old or corroded and it wasn't functioning.

“This incident highlights once again why carbon monoxide is called the silent killer, because it’s odorless,” Sarnicki says.

The boy was pronounced dead at a hospital a short time later. His sister is hospitalized in "extremely critical condition."

Officials say it appears the carbon monoxide levels may have been caused by the improper venting of fumes from the home’s steam boiler located in the basement. This is directly under the children’s bedrooms.

The investigation is ongoing.

The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

The Majestic Lanes bowling alley was damaged when 1 Driver crashes into Woodbridge bowling alley
Mikayla Raji, 8, paid for a Jamesburg police 2 Girl whose father was killed in line of duty buys officer dinner
Preston Taylor admits his involvement in the disappearance 3 Childhood friend admits helping to dispose of missing woman’s body
Computer issues have prevented some Newark city employees 4 Computer issues prevent Newark city employees from being paid
Students, parents and faculty at a Bayonne high 5 Bayonne's Marist High School faces fundraising deadline to stay open

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

It's good to know you have Walt Kane Kane in Your Corner

It's good to know you have Walt Kane in your corner.

News 12 takes a look at the hottest Tech Check

Eric Landskroner has a look at the latest gadgets and biggest stories in tech.

News 12 On the Scene

Check out these exclusive videos from New Jersey celebs!

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE