BLOOMFIELD - A boil water advisory issued for residents of Bloomfield, after E. coli bacteria was found in the system Monday, has been lifted.
The bacteria was an indication that the water may have been contaminated with human or animal waste which can sicken people, especially those with weakened immune systems.
Most residents received voicemails from the Township warning of the danger on Thursday. They were advised to boil before using the water for drinking, cooking, ice, washing dishes or brushing teeth.
READ MORE: Environment Stories
The contaminants could have potentially caused nausea, intestinal cramping or headaches.
The township says the E. coli likely got into the system through runoff, a break in the pipes or a problem at the treatment plant. The exact cause isn't yet known.