NEWARK - A federal appeals court has delayed the release of a list of unindicted co-conspirators in the 2013 George Washington Bridge lane-closing scandal.
A ruling from the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia on Tuesday calls for a June 6 hearing to decide whether to release the list.
One of the people on the list has challenged its release, arguing that his due process rights will be violated if the list is published and he would be branded a criminal.
A federal judge ruled last week that the list should be released by noon Tuesday after a request from media organizations.
Sen. Loretta Weinberg, who headed the committee that investigated the scandal, says that it is in the public’s best interest to release the names.
“If there was wrongdoing, we in the state should get the entire story, and try to make sure that this never happens again,” she says.
Weinberg says that the list is expected to include elected and appointed officials who need to answer to New Jersey’s residents.
“The taxpayers have the right to know about the people who were either elected or appointed who somehow played a role in this,” says the senator.
Three judges will now consider the matter at the hearing in June. According to the website Politico, one of the judges who may rule on the decision knows Gov. Christie because she is Donald Trump’s sister.
The governor's office did not respond to News 12 New Jersey’s requests for comment.
Two former allies of Republican Gov. Chris Christie have been indicted and face trial this fall. A third pleaded guilty.
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.