Ad agency welcomes probe into NJ's $25M 'Stronger than the Storm' marketing effort

The ad agency behind an effort to promote the Jersey Shore after Superstorm Sandy is defending the campaign amid calls for a deeper federal investigation.

TRENTON - The ad agency behind an effort to promote the Jersey Shore after Superstorm Sandy is defending the campaign amid calls for a deeper federal investigation.

Federal officials are taking a closer look at how Gov. Chris Christie's administration spent $25 million on the series of catchy commercials featuring the governor's family.

"Given widely inaccurate reporting on Stronger than the Storm, we welcome the Inspector General's report," MWW, the agency behind the campaign, said in a statement yesterday. "It will show that MWW's proposal included no mention or suggestion of using the governor in the paid advertising campaign. The decision to include the governor was arrived at after the contract was awarded, based on timing, availability, and federal expenditure rules. Assertions to the contrary are simple incorrect."

Click here to read MWW's full statement.

Democratic U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone Jr.'s office says the inspector general at the Department of Housing and Urban Development will audit the campaign.

The inspector general conducted a basic review last year at Pallone's urging. Pallone says the office found enough evidence to justify a full audit.

Christie spokesman Colin Reed says the federal government approved the campaign and that the administration expects a review will find it was effective.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Collection agencies working for the IRS may call 1 Consumer Alert: IRS collections
One of the tickets was sold at the 2 Winning lottery tickets sold in New Jersey
A new United Way ALICE report has found 3 Report: 37% of NJ households can’t afford basic needs
Hundreds gathered at a rally in Newark Sunday 4 Hundreds rally to save Affordable Care Act
On Saturday, officials of the company that owns 5 Ringling Bros. and Barnum Bailey Circus to close after 146-year run

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

A federal investigation has been launched into Gov. Feds look into use of Sandy money for ads

A federal investigation has been launched into Gov. Chris Christie's use of Sandy relief funds

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE