NEWARK - Fire officials say a woman and five children jumped from the third-floor window of a Newark apartment building to escape an early morning blaze.

The fire on South Orange Avenue was reported just after midnight. Fire officials say it took 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.

Newark Capt. John Brown says the 39-year-old woman and children, who range in ages from 6 to 17, were taken to University Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Brown says the fire started in the bathroom and was ignited by an unattended candle. Brown says the tenants were using the candle because they had moved in the day before and had not yet had the electricity turned on.