TRENTON - Six children and their grandmother were rushed to the hospital this morning with carbon monoxide poisoning.

All seven victims were at a house on 945 Carteret Ave. in Trenton when they were exposed to high levels of the toxic gas. The Trenton Fire Department says the house's heating system had malfunctioned and was not ventilating properly.

A neighbor told officials that the family had work performed on their heater yesterday.

Authorities say the father lives in the rental home with his six children and their grandmother. He and a neighbor both called 911 after the children said they felt sick.

The six children range in age from 3 to 13.

The home was condemned until the property is brought up to code and repairs are made to the heating system and chimney.

A firefighter told News 12 that a carbon monoxide detector was found in the house, but its batteries were dead.