21 hospitalized after CO incident at So Big Day Care in Pequannock Township

The So Big Day Care Center on Route

The So Big Day Care Center on Route 23 was evacuated Monday morning after several people became sick after breathing in what officials say was carbon monoxide. (Credit: News 12)

PEQUANNOCK - Two adults and 19 children were hospitalized after showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Pequannock Township day care center.

The So Big Day Care Center on Route 23 was evacuated Monday morning when several people became sick after being exposed to carbon monoxide. A worker at the center called police after she smelled exhaust fumes at around 10:15 a.m.

A total of 83 people inside the building were evacuated by police. Many were evaluated and treated at the scene by EMTs.

Health officials went inside after evacuating the building and confirmed elevated levels of carbon monoxide. 

Officials say workers in another part of the building were operating machinery that uses gasoline and combustion. They believe the contract work was directly related to the fumes at the day care.

OSHA and other government officials were on the scene to investigate the contractor.

The children hospitalized ranged from 2 to 6 years old. Police say the injuries were not serious or life-threatening.

The day care center will be opened Tuesday. 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A 600-year-old white oak that sits on the 1 600-year-old tree to be removed in Bernards
Authorities in Newark are searching for a person 2 Police seek person who crashed stolen car into Newark church
A Rockaway Township police officer is facing charges 3 Morris County officer faces sexual assault charges
News 12 was told the fire started around 4 Firefighters clear warehouse fire, road closes
A 600-year-old white oak that sits on the 5 Crews begin removal of 600-year-old tree in Bernards

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

It's good to know you have Walt Kane Kane in Your Corner

It's good to know you have Walt Kane in your corner.

News 12 takes a look at the hottest Tech Check

Eric Landskroner has a look at the latest gadgets and biggest stories in tech.

News 12 On the Scene

Check out these exclusive videos from New Jersey celebs!

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE