21 hospitalized after CO incident at So Big Day Care in Pequannock Township

The So Big Day Care Center on Route 23 was evacuated Monday morning after several people became sick after breathing in what officials say was carbon monoxide. (5/5/14)

PEQUANNOCK - Two adults and 19 children were hospitalized after showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Pequannock Township day care center.

The So Big Day Care Center on Route 23 was evacuated Monday morning when several people became sick after being exposed to carbon monoxide. A worker at the center called police after she smelled exhaust fumes at around 10:15 a.m.

A total of 83 people inside the building were evacuated by police. Many were evaluated and treated at the scene by EMTs.

READ MORE: New Jersey Top Stories

Health officials went inside after evacuating the building and confirmed elevated levels of carbon monoxide. 

Officials say workers in another part of the building were operating machinery that uses gasoline and combustion. They believe the contract work was directly related to the fumes at the day care.

OSHA and other government officials were on the scene to investigate the contractor.

The children hospitalized ranged from 2 to 6 years old. Police say the injuries were not serious or life-threatening.

The day care center will be opened Tuesday. 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12