CLOSTER - (AP) -- Two firefighters and a resident suffered minor injuries when a fire destroyed a northern New Jersey home.
The Record (http://bit.ly/1sieXel) reports that roughly 50 firefighters battled the blaze in Closter for nearly four hours on Sunday morning before it was extinguished. Authorities say the fire started in the home's basement and apparently was caused by a malfunctioning appliance.
Four people living in the home - a couple and their two children - were sleeping when they were awakened by smoke detectors around 8 a.m. The father tried to locate the fire and suffered smoke inhalation when he opened the basement door.
The father was taken to a hospital, as was a firefighter who fell in the house. Another firefighter was treated at the scene for a burn to his face.