EDISON - Authorities say 28 people were treated for possible carbon monoxide exposure at an Edison shelter for homeless women and their children.

Officials say 12 women and 16 children from the Ozanam Shelter were taken to hospitals Monday as a precaution.

PSEG crews and the Edison Fire Department were called to the shelter during Saturday’s snowstorm after a woman complained of feeling ill. The woman’s blood tested positive for some traces of carbon monoxide.

Crews detected higher levels of carbon monoxide in part of the facility.

Employees at the shelter reportedly told Edison officials that the shelter’s own HVAC contractor inspected and serviced the heating system Sunday.

However, more women and children complained of feeling ill Monday and were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

The incident remains under investigation.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that can be toxic.

The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.