04/01/13 Sandy Recovery Info

Replacing lost or damaged records is an important step in recovering from Hurricane Sandy.


TRENTON, N.J. ? Replacing lost or damaged records is an important step in recovering from Hurricane Sandy.

While it can seem like a challenging task, the good news is that many vital records are relatively easy to replace. Check the list below to find out where to obtain official copies of your lost or damaged documents.

Insurance: Contact your insurance agent for copies of your policies, recent billing records and cash-value statements.

Financial Records: Contact your bank, credit union, credit card company, brokerage firm and credit bureau for copies of account statements, loan applications, credit reports and other records.

Social Security Cards: Find the location of the nearest Social Security Administration office by calling 800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778) or check online at www.SocialSecurity.gov.

To obtain a replacement Social Security card, you will need to show proof of identity such as a driver's license, state-issued identification card or U.S. passport.

Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates: Call the New Jersey Vital Records bureau at 866-649-8726 (toll-free) or 609-292-4087. Information on how to order replacement records is also available online at state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml  or by mail at:

State of New Jersey
Vital Records Bureau
P.O. Box 370
Trenton, N.J. 08625-0370.

Divorce Decrees: Call the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center at 609-421-6100.

Savings Bonds: If your savings bonds have been lost, visit treasurydirect.gov  to download PDF Form 1048. Mail the completed form to:

Bureau of the Public Debt
P.O. Box 7012
Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012.

Federal Tax Returns: Visit irs.gov for information on obtaining expedited copies of past tax returns and extended tax deadlines for business owners impacted by Hurricane Sandy.

State Tax Returns: To order copies of your state tax returns, call the New Jersey Division of Taxation at 609-292-6400 or visit state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/phonenos.shtml 

Motor Vehicle Titles: Visit any New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission agency in the state to obtain duplicates of your driver's license, motor vehicle title or registration. You will need several proofs of identification. Call the DMV toll-free in New Jersey at 888-486-3339 (TTY 609-292-5120) for detailed instructions or visit the agency online at nj.gov/mvc/ for further information.

Green Cards: Contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services online at uscis.gov to fill out an online application to replace your permanent resident card or download a mail-in form

Voter Registration: Contact your county Superintendent of Elections to replace your voter registration card.

Damaged Money: Contact the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing online at moneyfactory.gov/damagedcurrencyclaim.html or call them at (866) 575-2361 (toll-free) or (202) 874-2141 for information on replacing your hurricane-damaged currency. 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Caleb 'Kai the hitchhiker' McGillvary tells News 12 1 Lawyer files motion to dismiss murder charges against viral video star
2 New Jersey Sportscast, March 27
News 12 New Jersey - Weather On The 3 New Jersey Weather Forecast
LeRoy Boyd is accused of holding his girlfriend's 4 Man who allegedly held child hostage charged with kidnapping
Troy Ramey of Sea Cliff competes on NBC's 5 Long Islander competes on 'The Voice'

advertisement | advertise on News 12


It's good to know you have Walt Kane Kane in Your Corner

It's good to know you have Walt Kane in your corner.

News 12 takes a look at the hottest Tech Check

Eric Landskroner has a look at the latest gadgets and biggest stories in tech.

News 12 On the Scene

Check out these exclusive videos from New Jersey celebs!

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.