Vet recalls D-Day as a war story turned love story
Walter Pruiksma kept a picture of a girl named Claire in a waterproof map case as he landed on Utah Beach in Normandy. He kept the picture with him as he made his way across France into Belgium and Holland. Pruiksma says Claire was the girl he was going to go home and marry. He did just that after two years apart while he fought in the war. Pruiksma says Claire’s picture is what drove him to come home alive.
More in News
- Chopper 12 over police investigation on I-287 Chopper 12 over crash in Ridgefield Park
- Chopper 12 over aftermath of East Brunswick fire Chopper 12 over Ground Zero on 9/11 anniversary
- Chopper 12 over fatal crash in East Orange Chopper 12 over Bernards Twp. accident
- Chopper 12 over house fire in Carteret Chopper 12 over Fleet Week ships
- Chopper 12 over Morganville home fire Chopper 12 over subway derailment in Queens