UNION BEACH - The state's top health official visited residents in Union Beach Wednesday to address lingering concerns over mold.
In Union Beach, 90 percent of the homes suffered water damage from Sandy. Officials are concerned that contractors hired to remove mold may not be properly trained.
"You have to take appropriate steps to make sure that you take care of it the first time and it doesn't come back later," says state Health Commissioner Mary O'Dowd.
MORE: Sandy Coverage
O'Dowd suggests making sure a water-damaged home is completely dried out.
Mold can cause respiratory problems in children and the elderly.