UNION BEACH - Officials say a Union Beach home abandoned after Sandy has mold and could be making residents in the neighborhood sick.
Inspectors checked out the ranch house on Saint James Avenue after a neighbor complained his family was getting sick from mold.
Authorities confirmed there was mold inside the flooded home and will notify the owner that it must be cleaned up.
MORE: Sandy Coverage
Their biggest concern is that some of the windows were left open. "It's really critically important for the health of your neighbors that you keep the windows closed," says borough administrator Jennifer Maier. Resources are available to help people clean out and move back into their homes, she says.
Union Beach officials say they were just notified about the problem and will see if the property can be added to a list of homes scheduled for demolition.