2 oz day boat scallops, (3, U-10 scallops, dry)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 T. butter
1 oz. Tamarind Crust, see recipe below
5 oz Grits, see recipe below
1 oz. prosciutto
1 oz. pea shoots
- Dry scallops and season with salt and pepper to taste. (Note: Check scallops for freshness. They should smell like the sea--clean and fresh.)
- Heat a medium saucepan, add oil and sear scallops on one side till crust forms.
- Add a tablespoon of butter and baste the scallops well.
- “Kiss” the other side of the scallop. (Flip scallops over and briefly heat other side.)
- Remove from heat.
- Smear previously prepared Tamarind Crust paste onto seared scallop.
- Place 3 tablespoons grits on plate; top with scallops, and garnish with pea shoots and prosciutto.
- Drizzle with EVOO and serve.
Tamarind Crust Recipe
2 T tamarind concentrate
2 T unsalted butter
2 T grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
Mix ingredients together well.
1 shallot, chopped fine
1 T unsalted butter
1½ cups water
1½ cups milk
1½ cups grits
2 T marscapone cheese
- In a medium saucepan soften shallots in the butter.
- Add water and milk; bring to boil.
- Add grits, stirring frequently.
- When thickened, season with salt and pepper and marscapone cheese.